Paid Summer Internship
Founded in 2010 by Democratic strategist Christy Setzer, New Heights Communications partners with organizations doing cutting-edge work to win campaigns, influence public policy and change hearts and minds. Our clients run the gamut from progressive advocacy organizations and national non-profits to political organizations and public interest law firms. We change the debate by helping our clients find their message, frame it for the media and target audiences, and get right into the conversation—we turn ideas into headlines.
Want to work on issues like preventing school shootings, safeguarding our elections from hacking, and standing up for families at the border? Are you a great writer, crazy-organized, and creative? Want to work with the media?
We are committed to preparing our interns for successful careers in advocacy, public relations, marketing and public affairs. Interns can expect to:
- Create press lists, pitch media and develop media coverage reports for our clients;
- Craft social media and digital assets for clients;
- Develop creative ideas to get our clients and ourselves in the news;
- Be part of a close-knit, energetic team where everyone has a hand in everything.
We expect a lot, but we give a lot, too. We provide lots of feedback and expect you to do the same. Interns leave us with a concrete set of skills and a full portfolio of writing projects—and press clips!
Ideal candidates are:
- Undergraduate or recent grad, and have or are working toward a bachelor’s degree in communications, political science or related field;
- Passionate about fighting to protect the erosion of rights in the Trump era – and good at explaining why;
- Excellent writers who can quickly grasp new content and adapt easily to changing tone, voice, format and end-goals in writing;
- Highly motivated, mature, responsible, and able to handle multiple projects in a short time frame;
- Able to devote at least 2-3 days per week for a period of 10 weeks;
- Located in Washington, DC.
And if this somehow doesn’t describe you, but you badly want to work with us anyway, give it a go and tell us why you’re the perfect candidate.
Send a resume, cover letter and two top-notch writing samples, including one media relations/press or social media piece if you have one, to email@example.com. We provide a monthly stipend of $1,000 to our interns, and we can work with your academic institution to ensure you receive academic credit. People of color and other minorities strongly encouraged to apply.